Welcome to Ashdown Class
Older pupils enjoy reading. They enthusiastically discuss their favourite authors and types of books they read. Comprehension skills are taught well.
OFSTED December 2019
Ashdown is a mixed class of children in Years 5 and 6. Our class teacher is Mrs Apps and our classroom is large and bright, with interactive whiteboards and laptops.
Meet the Class Teacher
[My child] is really loving being back at school, she enjoyed having Miss Gillman via Zoom but is even happier now that Miss Gillman is back!
Year 5 Parent, Parent Survey, November 2020
[my child] has grown in herself and has blossomed over the last two weeks thanks to the fabulous life experiences you have provided for her.
Year 5 Parent, January 2019
8:30 - Door Opens
8:35 - Door Closes
8:35 - Registration & Morning Activities
9:00 - Assembly
9:20 - Lesson 1
10:10 - SPAG lesson
10:30 - Break
10:45 - Lesson 2
11:35 - Guided Reading
12:00 - Lunch
1:00 - Lesson 3
2:00 - Lesson 4
3:00 - Home time
Acts of Worship
Monday - Roots & Fruits Values Worship
Tuesday - Small Group Worship
Wednesday - Key Stage Worship
Thursday - Collective Worship - Please feel free to join us for this assembly!
Friday - Celebration Worship
Long Term Planning
Please click on the buttons below for an overview of what will be taught in Ashdown Class over a 2 year rolling programme.
- Daily Reading
- Weekly Times Tables
- Focus 5 Spellings - Children will have 5 focus spellings that we would like you to support them with - please ask your child what these are.
- Termly Spellings - Year 5 & 6 words
- Foster a love of reading.
- Record that your child has read in their reading record.
- Ask questions throughout reading (a list of possible questions will be added to the inside of your child's reading record).
Focus 5 Spellings - Following the Jane Considine Spelling Scheme children will become spelling detectives looking for patterns in spellings. Each child will have 5 focus spellings that they will focus on. Staff in school will be looking out for accurate use of these spellings before updating to new words to challenge your child.
Termly Spellings - These spellings your child needs to know by the end of the year but will be tested at least once each term.
Forest School takes place every Friday. Ashdown pupils should bring appropriate clothes to change in to for this session along with waterproofs and wellies.
Year 6 SATs
The test dates for the next SATs are as follows:
- 13th May 2024 to 16th May 2024
How can you help?
- Ask your child what they have been learning today at school.
- Please listen to your child read each day - little and often - it should be fun and not a chore.
- Help them with their spellings.
- Praise independence.
- Tell us about achievements at home.
Keep Up To Date
We use Bromcom to communicate with parents and carers. We use Parentpay for paid trips, meals and activities.
We publish a newsletter each term.
Children at Ashbury have excellent opportunities to take part in learning and sporting events at Faringdon Community College and at Pinewood Independent School.
These partnerships provide a secure link for our Year 6 children when they move up to secondary school, ensuring a well-managed, supported and confident transition.