Welcome to Ashdown Class
Year 6 pupils achieved well at the end of the last academic year... This is because teachers quickly identify any gaps in pupils' learning and provide additional support and intervention
to enable pupils to catch up.
OFSTED February 2016
Ashdown is a mixed class of children in Years 5 and 6. Our class teacher is Miss Gillman and our classroom is large and bright, with interactive whiteboards and laptops.
[my child] has grown in herself and has blossomed over the last two weeks thanks to the fabulous life experiences you have provided for her.
Year 5 Parent, January 2019
8:40 - Gates Open
8:45 - Children go into school
8:50 - Registration
9:00 - Assembly
9:20 - Lesson 1
10:10 - SPAG lesson
10:30 - Break
10:45 - Lesson 2
11:35 - Guided Reading
12:00 - Lunch
1:00 - Lesson 3
2:00 - Lesson 4
3:00 - Home time
Monday - Open the Book Assembly
Tuesday - Nurture Group or Key Stage Assembly
Wednesday - PSHE
Thursday - Collective Worship - Please feel free to join us for this assembly!
Friday - Spelling Test or Times Tables
Term 2 - Extreme Earth
Term 1 - Intergalactic
Our strategy for maths in Ashdown follows: -Do it -Use it -Own it - Explore it.
Our yearly over view for maths is detailed in this table:
- Daily Reading
- Weekly Homework
- Weekly Spellings - tested fortnightly
- Termly Spellings - Year 5 & 6 words
- Foster a love of reading.
- Record that your child has read in their reading record.
- Ask questions throughout reading (a list of possible questions will be added to the inside of your child's reading record).
- If your child has read 5 times in one week, they will gain a raffle ticket for the termly draw.
Weekly Spellings - Spellings will be sent out on a Friday (in the back of the homework book). The children will need to write each spelling in a sentence in the back of their homework book. These spellings will be tested fortnightly.
Termly Spellings - These spellings your child needs to know by the end of the year but will be tested at least once each term.
Forest School takes place every Tuesday. Ashdown pupils should arrive in school dressed in Forest School clothes and their uniform in a named bag to change back into after.
Children should wear their school shoes and will change into their wellies just before the session. Please ensure your child has suitable clothing for all weathers.
Year 6 SATs
The test dates for the next SATs are as follows:
- Monday 11th May - English Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling Papers 1 and 2
- Tuesday 12th May - English Reading
- Wednesday 13th May - Mathematics Papers 1 and 2
- Thursday 14th May - Mathematics Paper 3
How can you help?
- Ask your child what they have been learning today at school.
- Please listen to your child read each day - little and often - it should be fun and not a chore.
- Help them with their spellings.
- Praise independence.
- Tell us about achievements at home.
Keep Up To Date
We use Parentpay to communicate with parents and carers.
We publish a newsletter every 2 weeks.
Children at Ashbury have excellent opportunities to take part in learning and sporting events at Faringdon Community College and at Pinewood Independent School.
These partnerships provide a secure link for our Year 6 children when they move up to secondary school, ensuring a well-managed, supported and confident transition.
Teachers' assessments of pupils' learning in lessons is astute.
OFSTED June 2016